From Four Seasons Campers (Loch Lomond Base) head north on the A82 up the west side of Loch Lomond. At Tarbet take the A83 towards Inverary and continue to Lochgilphead. Next, take the B841 towards Crinan then head south to Tayvallich.
Things to see and do:
• Stop at pretty village of Luss on Loch Lomond
• Visit the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar
• Visit Inverary Castle
• Lunch at The George Hotel, Inverary
• Visit Crinan and watch the yachts come through the Crinan Canal
• Lunch option at Crinan Hotel overlooking Corryvrekan whirlpool
• Dinner at Tayvallich Inn – great seafood overlooking Loch Sween • Visit Kiels Chapel and look for the otters! https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/keills-chapel-and-cross/
Campsite: Located just south of Tarbert on the coast and recommended by Cool Camping website http://www.muasdaleholidays.com/
Day 2/3 – Islay
Take Ferry over to Islay from Kennacraig to Port Ascaig
- Things to do on Islay:
• Several good places to eat in Port Charlottte including Port Charlotte Hotel. Also book in advance for seafood from Lochindaal Hotel restaurant
• A good place to walk is at the RSPB reserve at Loch Gruinart
• Bowmore Distillery is between Port Charlotte and Port Ellen and is recommended but there are also lots of other distilleries so if you know your whisky then you can choose your favourite to visit!
• Cycle between 3 distilleries from Port Ellen to Laphroiag, Lagavulin to Ardbeg, Bike hire in Port Charlotte opposite Port Charlotte Hotel 01496 850 488 and in Port Ellen from Jim Lutomski 07760 196592
• Eat at Ardbeg Distillery
- Port Charlotte – Good facilities toilets, showers, laundry and bistro. Free wireless network. Ten electrical hook ups.
01496 850441 http://islandofislay.co.uk/
- Kintra Farm – 3 miles from Port Ellen. Beautiful basic camping and caravanning site beside the sea. Converted farm steading houses toilets, wash hand basins and showers and unisex disabled toilet. No electrical hook up points
http://www.kintrafarm.co.uk/camping/ 01496 302051
- Mobile Service Point and Hook up /campsite Port Ellen Filling Station- community owned facility for campervans to empty chemical waste, electric hook up and fill up with fuel plus water supply, wi-fi access, jet wash and air compressor. 2, 4 and 1 night stops – Public toilets opposite. In town for access to restaurants and bars with view out to sea. Call 01496 302443
Get the ferry back to main land and drive north on A816 through Kilmartin Glen and through Oban and across Connel Bridge to Port Appin .
Things to see and do:
• Visit standing stones at Kilmartin
• Stop at Sutherland Grove and either cycle or walk through forest http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/visit/sutherlands-grove (great for wild mushrooms here!)
• Get a small ferry to the island of Lismore and cycle here. There is a little Visitor centre and café on the island.
• Lunch at The Pier House , Port Appin
• Dinner at The Clachaig Inn , Glencoe
• Dinner at The Gathering , Glencoe
Campsite: Glencoe Red Squirrel
Head back south onto A82 then A85 and drive to Crianlarich and east Lochearnhead then south down the A84 to Strathyre and camp or continue on into the Trossachs.
Things to do:
• Walk to the Hidden Valley in Glencoe
• Glencoe Visitor Centre
• Cycle around Loch Lubnaig from Strathyre
• Dinner Mhor 84 at Strathyre
• Cycle around Loch Katrine
• Enjoy the steam boat at Loch Katrine
• Dinner at The Byre Inn at Brig o Turk
Campsite: Immervoulin Caravan and Camping Park
Cobleland Camping in the Forest (Near Gartmore and Aberfoyle)
Drive to Four Seasons Campers (Loch Lomond Base) 1 hour